Scroll down to “About This Mod” for more background info. The mod files are below this message.
How to Download and Install
- The final release of this mod is available to download from here: Ver. 1.0.5 (Update blog post is here)
- First, you will need a copy of NieR RepliCant for PS3. This is the 2010 Japanese release of the game, and I recommend getting the “Ultimate Hits” release, as this is the version I have tested with my patch. If you successfully use my patch with the original (not Ultimate Hits) release, please let me know.
- I have created a new patch which replaces the need to use RikuKH3’s now unavailable one. Follow the step-by-step instructions I have written on the following blog post in order to dump your game, patch the files and install this mod: Guide to Patching NieR RepliCant (PS3)
- If you already have a patched dump of the game or are updating a previous version of this mod, do the following:
- Go into the \PS3_GAME\USRDIR\MEDIA folder of NieR RepliCant and copy over the “EVENT” and “TEXT” folders in my download, overwriting any existing files.
- You can play the game with either a modded PS3, or an emulator (RPCS3).
Changes in Ver. 1.0.5
- Major restructuring of the Forest of Myth and Kainé’s Story sequences to address the issue of text overflowing onto the next line.
- Dialogue edits throughout.
I’m aware of the following issues. If you find any more or notice anything odd with the dialogue that isn’t listed here, please leave a comment below or contact me and I will do my best to look into it.
- You have to enter your character name using a Japanese keyboard layout. I recommend you copy and paste some katakana into the name entry screen if on PC, or locate a katakana character layout sheet online and use it to help you enter a name on PS3.
- In the Forest of Myth and Kainé’s Story sequences, I have improved the text overflow issue (words cutting off at the end of lines and continuing on to the next). However, whenever the main character’s name is stated I am unable to edit the layout of any text for the rest of the containing paragraph. This is due to being unable to account for varying lengths of the character’s name.
- Sometimes radio text (the text that appears in the top left corner of the screen while characters are talking) flashes by very quickly. It seems the timing is a bit off on rare occasions.
Screenshots & Videos
I have a full no-commentary walkthrough/playthrough of NieR RepliCant on PS3 using version 1.0.4 of this mod, which I will link the playlist for below. Of course, newer versions of the mod will have slightly different dialogue:
Below are a few HQ screenshots of some of the edited dialogue in action:
About This Mod
Since April 2019, I have been working on refining the English-patched version of NieR RepliCant originally released by RikuKH3. This patch replaced all of the Japanese script in the game with the English equivalent from the Western release, where the main character is replaced with an older man. RikuKH3 also altered some of the dialogue, for instance so that the word “father” was replaced with “brother” in conversations between Nier and the character Yonah.
Instances of his English counterpart still resurface (one which particularly sticks out to me is when Nier is being asked about his wedding “a long time ago”, despite being barely out of his teenage years at this point in RepliCant).
I decided to comb the entire script and rewrite dialogue that made Nier sound like a middle-aged man (as he is in the English version) so that it better reflected his character as a teenage boy and young man. Over time the purpose of the mod changed from just being a way for me to experience a satisfying English localisation of RepliCant, to a way of archiving the original PS3 game for English speakers (as of 29/03/20 an official remaster of NieR RepliCant has been announced).
A lot of re-localising of the dialogue in NieR meant I had to go back and reference the original Japanese script. I don’t speak Japanese other than whatever odd words and phrases I have picked up, so I have tried my best to get the general gist of conversations and incorporate them into the existing highly enjoyable English translation, albeit with alterations where necessary to make it make sense in context.
This is a re-localisation and I have never intended for this mod to be a complete re-translation of the game from Japanese.
This mod was a labour of love by a huge fan of the NieR series (*cough*), began at a time when there was no indication of a release of RepliCant to the west. To anyone who has not experienced RepliCant, I would urge them to buy the remake/new version (Nier 1.22…) instead of using this mod as Square would have done a far superior job than I ever could. As of now, this mod serves as a way to archive the original PS3 title for English speakers.
One thing I should note is I stuck to using Americanised/Americanized English for this modded script, because the existing English script which I based it upon uses it.
Please let me know what you think if you try out this modded script. I won’t be doing any more major updates as I do not want it to be influenced by the new remastered version, but I always enjoy hearing feedback.