This post’s a little different than usual.
Since April 2019, I have been working on refining the English-patched version of NieR RepliCant originally released by RikuKH3. This patch replaced all of the Japanese script in the game with the English equivalent from the Western release, where the main character is replaced with an older man. RikuKH3 also altered some of the dialogue, for instance so that the word “father” was replaced with “brother” in conversations between Nier and the character Yonah.
Instances of his English counterpart still resurface (one which particularly sticks out to me is when Nier is being asked about his wedding “a long time ago”, despite being barely out of his teenage years at this point in RepliCant).
I decided to comb the entire script and rewrite dialogue that made Nier sound like a middle-aged man (as he is in the English version) so that it better reflected his character as a teenage boy and young man. Why? Because I love NieR RepliCant.
I may make another post in future going into more detail about how I did this project and why, but for now I shall release Version 1.0.0!
How to Download and Install
In order to play legally, first you’ll need a copy of NieR Replicant for PS3. It is only available on physical media, and sadly is now out of print. But if you’re lucky you can find one second-hand online. Then do the following:
- Rip your physical copy of NieR RepliCant and apply the English patch by RikuKH3, available here: https://pastebin.com/TCXDCmmS
- Download my modified files here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LSm7GNxY8BJDpzni5KNBTcTMyMMEdD4r
- Go into the \PS3_GAME\USRDIR\MEDIA folder of NieR RepliCant and replace the “EVENT” and “TEXT” folders with the ones in my download, overwriting all files.
- You can play the game with either a modded PS3, or an emulator if your PC is better than mine (RPCS3).
I have tried to get a few screenshots of the edited dialogue in action, but bear in mind my PC can’t run the game emulated very well, so there are graphical glitches. In future, if I can I will try to capture some screenshots and video of the game running on PS3.
I’m aware of the following issues. If you find any more or notice anything odd with the dialogue that isn’t listed here, please leave a comment below or contact me and I will do my best to look into it.
- You have to enter your character name using a Japanese keyboard layout. I’ve tried seeing if I can change this, but cannot seem to find a way so far. I recommend you copy and paste some katakana into the name entry screen if on PC, or locate a katakana character layout sheet online and use it to help you enter a name on PS3.
- Words in dialogue boxes and in the Forest of Myth sometimes overflow onto the next line. I’m not sure if it was using Notepad++ which caused this to happen or if it is unavoidable. I have some ideas to try and fix this, if I find a solution it will take a while to fix all of the offending dialogue.
- Sometimes radio text (the text that appears in the top left corner of the screen while characters are talking) flashes by very quickly. I’ve yet to find a solution to this, it seems the timing is a bit off on rare occasions.
This mod was a labour of love by a huge fan of the NieR series (*cough*), and if somehow Square Enix suddenly decided after all these years to remaster, localise and release RepliCant to the west, I would urge anyone to buy that instead as they would do a far superior job than I ever could!
One thing I should note is I stuck to using Americanised/Americanized English for this modded script, because the existing English script which I based it upon uses it.
Please let me know what you think if you try out this modded script, and also if you find anything odd, like dialogue feels clunky or doesn’t make sense. It’s only been me looking at it so far so any outside input would be welcome!